It is so important to set yourself goals in life to keep yourself focused. I know that people always bang on about this, but it is true. This applies to any aspect of life; be it work, fitness, health, home or leisure. Now I’m not saying that we should be sitting down and mapping out every path that we plan to take, that approach works for some people, but not for everyone! What I am saying is that we need to have an idea of what we are trying to achieve and then work towards it.
For example, I set myself goals to get myself going when I dreamt up my idea of becoming a self employed Pesonal Trainer and I am happy to say that I have achieved most of them (time to set myself some new ones!) However I have not spent any time focusing on my own training and diet. Since leaving my job at the gym I have spent so much time focusing on starting my own business that I have let what really matters to me slide to the side. After moaning time and time again to my poor boyfriend I have realised that in order for me to be really happy I need to have goals to work towards in every aspect of my life – especially health and fitness.
Now, it is crucial to keep these targets and goals realistic. We do not want to set ourselves up for failure and disappointment – we want to be able to enjoy the journey we take! So here are a few pointers to help you set goals.
- Ask yourself what it is you really want. This can be a big wild dream, or just something simple. Have a long hard think and write your aspirations and dreams down.
- How can you achieve that? Ok, so some of your dreams may be HUGE, that isn’t to say you can’t achieve them, but you need to break them down into manageable steps.
- What can you do each week to get closer to your end goal. Make even smaller daily or weekly goals to help you stay on track.
- Who can I ask for help? Find people that will help you and encourage you. Surround yourself with positive people that believe in you.
- Be kind to yourself. Always, always, always remember to be kind to yourself. Being hard on yourself never results in happiness. If your goal is coming from a negative place, it won’t be a positive journey. If you fall off track sometimes, it is ok, pick yourself up and get back on the right path.
Just a few little tips to help you set yourself some goals. They do not have to be huge ones. Just listen to what it is that your head and heart truly wants. Anything is possible.