We’ve all been in those situations where we find it tough to let go of something or someone. We spend tonnes of our time hung up on past events that didn’t quite go as we had planned, or we constantly feel miserable because we did something we wish we hadn’t. I am guilty of this too, we all have been guilty of this at some point of our lives. People often tell you to just ‘let it go’, but that can seem very daunting.
Here are a few tips to help you move on and let go of those thoughts that are dragging you down. I promise you, when you consciously make and effort to practice these things, you will feel like a weight has lifted!
1. Allow yourself to feel. Sounds silly, but in order to move forward, you do need to process your emotions. Blocking thoughts out never helps, but dwelling on those emotions and feelings for too long doesn’t help either. Acknowledging how something/someone has made you feel is ok, it helps you to understand a situation. Think of the emotions as ships sailing past, they will soon be gone and aren’t here to stay. Just be aware of your actions. No matter how you feel always try to stay calm and think before you do/say anything.
2. See the situation from a different point of view. Sometimes when you have had an argument or a fallout/breakup it is easy to blame the other person, but it can be helpful to see it from their point of view. Empathising with others and showing compassion, even when you don’t agree, is a powerful thing and will help you let go of situations much more easily. Harbouring negative thoughts only holds you back. I often ask myself what advice would I give to my best friend if they were in this situation, and it is often completely this opposite to what I have been doing. Sometimes what you are perceiving as a problem, it’s actually something tiny and not worth the worry.
3. Ask yourself if it is making you happy. If the answer is no, or not really, or if you have any teeny tiny doubt about your happiness, it is probably not right for you. Listen to your gut feeling and don’t waste energy on things that aren’t giving you happiness. Move forward. There really is no point putting energy into something that is giving you nothing back, or not having a positive impact on your life.
4. Don’t always listen to other people. Everyone has their own opinion, and sometimes other people’s advice isn’t the best. Only talk to the people you know really well and trust. Deep down you know what you should do, and sometimes talking to others only makes the situation worse. Go with what you feel is really right for YOU, not anybody else.
5. Focus on yourself. Probably the most important thing in letting go! Do the things that make you truly happy. See the people that make you smile. Find the funny side of things. Be ok with spending time with yourself and loving you. Follow your dreams. Be grateful and kind. Laugh and enjoy life.
Now of course, you don’t have to agree with any of this, you might be able to let go of things easily or it might all sound like a load of rubbish to you. However, whatever you do, just let the bad things in life past you, and don’t look back. Use everything in life as an opportunity to learn and grow. Enjoy the moment and stay positive!
Listing all the wonderful things that you are grateful for can really help you to put your mind in a more positive state. Gratuity opens doors that seemed to be wedged shut. When we start to be thankful for the little things in life, we start to attract more to be grateful for.
However, it isn’t always as easy as that. It can be almost impossible to be grateful during difficult times. But, it can be just what you need to lift you back onto your positive path. Find the beauty in the hard and testing periods of your life. Be thankful for the lessons you are being exposed to for they will help you grow into a better person.
Show your gratitude daily. You may be surprised with what the world bring to you.